Để cho Câu mệnh lệnh lịch sự hơn, thuyết phục hơn, ta dùng do trước các mệnh lệnh
- Do help me, please.
- Do be careful when you cross the road.
Trong câu phủ định, ta đặt NOT sau động từ hoặc dùng NEVER trước DO/ DID
- I know not anything about that.
- They succeeded not in their scheme although they tried very hard.
- She never does help her friends.
- I never did hear anything like that before.
Trong câu mệnh lệnh phủ định, ta đặt YOU giữa DON’T và động từ
- Don’t you forget it.
- Don’t you speak to me like that.
B. Nhấn mạnh từ, cụm từ, mệnh đề:
Ta dùng cấu trúc: “It + is / was + ……… + that…” để nhấn mạnh word, phrase ,clause.
- It was Mr.Brown that I met at the theatre yesterday. (nhấn mạnh 1 từ)
- It was at the theatre that I met Mr.Brown yesterday. (nhấn mạnh cụm từ)
- It was because it rained heavily that we couldn’t go to the lecture. (1 mệnh đề)
- It is the smoke from that factory chimney that pollutes the air.
C. NHẤN MẠNH BẰNG CÁCH ĐẢO NGỮ. (Inversion of subject and verb)
1/ Đưa trạng từ hay cụm từ tương đươmg ra đầu câu : hardly, scarcely, no longer, never, never hardly, never before, seldom, rarely, nowhere, in no circumstances, on no account, not until, not only… but also, no sooner… than…
- Never have I seen such a wonderful thing.
- Seldom does she help her friends.
- Nowhere else can he find so many happy people.
- Rarely did he smile at me.
2/ Đưa ONLY, SO, MANY A TIME, SUCH… ra đầu câu.
- Only then did she realize her mistakes.
- So big was the liner that it couldn’t enter the harbour.
3/ Xóa liên từ IF trong câu điều kiện. (Đảo ngữ ở câu điều kiện)
- Had I met you before, we could have been friends.
10/ This instrument is not only expensive but also useless.
EXERCISE III: Rewrite the following sentences
1/ We have never seen such a clean and tidy house before.
Never before __________________________________________
2/ Rarely does she come to see me now.
3/ He didn’t realize he had lost his wallet until he got home.
Not until ____________________________________________
4/ My father no longer works for this company.
No longer ____________________________________________
5/ So suspicious did he become that he didn’t believe whatever she had said.
6/ Not only did he refuse to help me but he also made fun of me.
7/ This switch mustn’t be touched on any account.
On no account __________________________________________
8/ They know little about it.
9/ A great castle stood directly in front of them.
In front of them __________________________________________
10/ Were I in your place, I would refuse his invitation.
11/ We met him just a moment ago.
It was just ______________________________________________
12/ Many a time did he tell her that he loved her.
13/ An enormous frog sat on the grass.
14/ Please turn down the radio.
15/ She wanted to buy a blue hat.
She did ________________________________________________
16. He spent all his money. He even borrowed some from me.
Not only______________________________________________ _________
17. He had hardly left the office when the telephone rang.
No sooner __________________________________________________ ___
18. I had only just put the phone down when the boss rang back.
Hardly __________________________________________________ _____
19. He didn’t finish his work until the bell rang.
Not until __________________________________________________ ____
20. We only began to see the symptoms of the disease after several months.
Only __________________________________________________ _______
21. I have never seen anyone in my life drink as much as you.
Never __________________________________________________ ______
22. A sleeping dog was lying under the table.
Under the table _________________________________________________
23. His brother had rarely been more excited.
24. If I had realized what would happen, I wouldn’t have accepted the job.