This course introduces you to the economic geography of the world economy with a study of material management, government regulations and distribution systems as well as economic factors regarding agriculture, manufacturing, and materials utilization. Topics include concepts of population, transportation, locational decisions and globalization.
Textbook: Frederick P. Stutz, Barney Warf (2012), Economic Geography, 6th Edition, Pearson Publishing.
What you should know before you start the course.
Students need to be familiar with basic business vocabulary and be able to follow lectures, participate in discussions and to work in English. Plus, make sure the course fits your timetable!
What you should know after you have completed the course.
Program Learning Outcomes (PLO)
1. Identify global issues and trends.
2. Identify current global legal issues and international trade management issues.
3. Analyze various sources of international business research.
4. Demonstrate knowledge of global and world geography.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLO)
Understand the fundamentals of economics and geography and their interrelations.
Understand the major components of the world’s spatial economy
Understand realms of population.
Identify key aspects of economic challenges in the 21st Century.
HOW TO COMPLETE THE COURSE
There are 14 weeks (48 hours) that cover the academic subject areas. Attendance is strongly recommended because students will achieve beneficial and practical information related to their further careers. In addition, mid-term exam, final exam and presentations will test students’ knowledge and ability on issues covered in the lectures.
Mid-term & Final exam
Short Questions/ Essay
Quiz & Assignment
This course is wide and covers much theory. Therefore, at the beginning of the class, you will have a short revision (10 minutes) about the previous lecture. This will help you review the knowledge week by week and prepare for mid-term & final exams.
Besides, you will have assignment to work at home every week to deepen and widen your knowledge as well as to increase your awareness of the world.
Report & Presentation (group of 3 to 5)
In this report, your group will have a chance to do deeper research on topics discussed in the text book. After the first 3 weeks, your group will choose the chapter topic that you have most interest in for the report. Based on your chosen topic, I will assign you a case study or research question. The entire research questions will be posted on Moodle in week 4.
The report needs to have at least 2500 words and to be expressed in font Time New Romans, size 12, line spacing 1.5. Deadline is 7:00 AM 26.12.2015. Late work means 0. All of you will present your report. The presentation should last around 15-20 minutes (excluding Q&A part) with the participation of all group members.
Not too fast, not too slow
10-15 minutes for presentation (not including Q&A section)
1. Please be punctual. Otherwise, you will get an L in attendance book!
2. There should be no talking or phone ring whilst the instructor is speaking. It is rude and disturbs other students. Pass a note or going out for answering phone calls if necessary.
3. Academic Dishonesty Policy will be in effect through all exams and written assignments. Make certain you understand and adhere to them. Especially, don’t commit PLAGIARISM under any circumstances. If you are caught to plagiarize, you will get a 0 and even an F for the whole course in case of recommitment. If you use any information from the internet, this must be referenced or you will be penalized.
Students are responsible for conducting themselves with honor and integrity in fulfilling course requirements. Penalties and/or disciplinary proceedings may be initiated by SaigonTech officials against a student accused of scholastic dishonesty. The penalties are regulated clearly in “Policy no.2 about Plagiarism, SaigonTech catalogue 2015” which will be available in SaigonTech’s website soon. Please read my PowerPoint on “Cheating and Plagiarism” and the following policies for more details about Academic Dishonesty Policy:
Acts of plagiarism include but are not limited to:
· Submit other people’s works to get points (Nộp bài làm của người khác để lấy điểm cho mình).
· Copy completely or partly from the text translated by translation tool such as Google translation etc (Sao chép nguyên văn, hoặc một phần từ các công cụ dịch thuật)
· Copy words or ideas without citing source and author’s name (Sao chép từ hoặc ý tưởng của người khác mà không nêu nguồn tài liệu và tên tác giả được trích dẫn).
· Do not use quotation marks for direct citation (Không đặt dấu ngoặc kép trong các trích dẫn nguyên văn).
· Cite the wrong source (Đưa thông tin sai về nguồn của một trích dẫn).
· Change the wording but sentence structure without citing author’s name (Thay đổi từ ngữ nhưng vẫn giữ nguyên cấu trúc câu của một nguồn tài liệu mà không nêu tên tác giả).
· Borrow words/ phrases from a source without using quotation marks or with making negligible change (Vay mượn từ/ cụm từ của một nguồn tài liệu mà không đặt dấu ngoặc kép hoặc chỉ thay đổi chúng một cách qua loa).
· Copy too many words or ideas that make up the most of personal work, regardless of whether source and author’s name are cited (Sao chép quá nhiều từ ngữ hoặc ý tưởng từ một nguồn tài liệu làm cho các ý tưởng đó chiếm phần lớn bài làm của mình, bất kể có nêu tên nguồn hoặc tác giả hay không)
· Copy information from Internet such as company information, market information etc. (Sao chép thông tin từ Internet (thông tin công ty, thông tin thị trường v.v)
· Cooperate with other students to do the exams, tests and other assignments without permission of the Instructor (Cộng tác với sinh viên khác trong lúc làm bài thi/kiểm tra hoặc trong các bài tập mà không được phép của giáo viên)
· Use one assignment to submit for different classes without permission of the Instructor (Sử dụng hoặc nộp cùng một bài làm cho nhiều lớp khác nhau mà không được phép của giáo viên môn học)
· Have other people do the exams, tests and other assignments for you (Đi thi hộ hoặc nhờ người khác thi hộ mình trong kỳ thi/ kiểm tra hoặc làm giúp hay nhờ người khác làm bài tập cho mình)
4. No ‘extra credit’ work or additional assignments will be given without a valid reason. Instead, your activeness in class discussion/ activity is highly appreciated and will be counted. Extensions to any deadlines are possible only upon presentation of appropriate documentation.