Your answers: 1. C 2. C 3. A 4. B 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. Part II. Give the correct form of the given words in the brackets to finish the following sentences. Write your answer in the numbered space given below. (10 points) 1. She’s determined to prove his innocence, _________ of how long it takes.
2. Your personal experiences have a ________ on your attitude to life.
3. I have just bought a replacement for one of my favorites which ______
4. I was late because I ________how much time I’d need.
5. Television exerts a ________ influence on our children’s lives.
6. The ________ of credit card users are able to make their payment on time without
7. The ________ listed for the pills means that she cannot take them.
8. Passengers are requested to ________ themselves with the safety features of the
9. In many countries it is ________to smoke cigarettes under the age of 16.
10. ________, stress may be caused by racial discrimination, financial problems or
REGARD BEAR MYSTERY ESTIMATE PERVADE MAJOR INDICATE FAMILIAR LEGAL ADD Your answers: 1.
Part III. There are 10 mistakes in the following passage. Underline the mistakes and write the correct answers in the space provided. (5.0 points) Let us suppose that you are in the position of a parent. Would you allow your children read any books
without first checking their content? Would you take them to see any films without first finding whether
they are suitable for them? If your answer of these questions is yes, then you are either extremely
permissive, or just plain irresponsible. If your answer is not, then you are exercising your right as a parent
to protect your children from what you consider to be desirable influences. In other words, by act as a
censor yourself, you are admitting that there is a strong case for censorship. Children need protection and it
is the parents' responsibility to provide it. However, what about adults? Aren't they old enough to decide
Page 3 of 8
that is good for them? The answer is that many adults are, but don't make the mistake of thinking that all
adults are like yourself. Censorship is for the good of society as whole. Highly civilized people might find
it possible to live together without laws of any kinds: they would just rely in good sense to solve their
problems. However, imagine what chaos there would be if we live in a society without laws! Like the law,
censorship contributes to the good.