13. Right now, Jim ___ the newspaper and Kathy ___ dinner.
A. reads/ has cooked B. has read/ was cooking
C. is reading/ is cooking D. read/ will be cooking
14. I don’t feel like ____ to my sibling about my troubles.
A. talk B. talking C. to talk D. talked
15. Billy come and give me a hand with cooking.
A. help B. prepared C. be busy D. attempt
16. You are old enough to take ____ for what you have done.
A. responsible B. responsibly C. irresponsible D. responsibility
17. She got up late and rushed to the bus stop.
A. came into B. went leisurely C. went quickly D. dropped by
18. When Carol ___ last night, I ___ my favorite show on TV.
A. was calling/ watched B. called/ was watching
C. called/ have watched D. had called/ watched
19. Alex is busy ___ for his exam.
A. studying B. to study C. studied D. study
20. Everyday, Nam ___ up at 6:00, ____ breakfast at 7:00 and __ for work at 8:00.
A. get/ eat/ leave B. got/ ate/ left C. gets/ eats/ leaves
21, I ___ there once a long time ago and ___ back since.
A. have gone/ was B. go/ am not
C. was going/ hadn’t been D. went/ haven’t been
22. She ___ for that company for 20 years.
A. have worked B. worked C. has worked D. works
23. It’s generally believed that “Men make __ house and women make __ home”
A. Ǿ/Ǿ B. a/ the C/ the/ the D. a/ an
24. Most children enjoy ___ with their parents and siblings.
A. play B. to play C. playing D. to playing
25. When __ he __ the telephone?
A. do/ invent B. did/ invent C. did/ invented D. had/ invented
26. When I ____at the stadium, the match ___.
A. arrived/ started B. had arrived/ started C. arrived/ had started
IV. Fill each numbered blank with one suitable word or phrase.
Jean was the warmest, kindest lady (27) ___ always volunteered her time her effort and her love. (28) ___ a warm smile, a kind word or a listening ear, she was destined to make her mark in the hearts of her cherished family and friends. They were her greatest (29) ___ throughout her eleven-year struggle with cancer, which gave her the (30) ___ to never give (31) ___. When it came to her leisure time, Jean enjoyed (32) ___ some shopping and having (33) ___ lunch with her two children. She also liked to shop at the supermarket, particularly to buy clothes for her sons and grandchildren. For Jean, having a happy family (34) ___ having heaven in her heart and angels in her life. She truly cherished everyone in her life! What gave Jean (35) ____ greatest joy was sharing herself (36) _____her family and friends, offering them the most precious thing she possessed her time. It is a gift none of them will never forget.
27. A. which B. that C. whom D. whose
28. A. on B. in C. for D. which
29. A. support B. admire C. desire D. arm
30. A. courage B. courageous C. courageously D. encourage
A.are you doing/will go B.have you done/would gone
C.were you doing/went D.will you do/are going
31. Oranges ……. Rich in vitamin C, which …. Good for our health.
A. have been/ is B. are/ is C. are/ will be D. were/ has been
32. Everyday Mary …on the computer, but today she … a type-writer because there is no power.
A. types/ is writing B. is typing/ uses C. has typed/will use D. types/ has used
33. They …..him for weeks. A. do not see B. didn’t see C. haven’t seen D. will see
34. I ... well recently. I … to see my doctor yesterday. He said that I …. Some rest.
A. do not sleep/ went/ would need B. slept/ went/ needed
C. didn’t sleep/ go/ will need D. have not slept/ went/ needed
35. His ideas about marriage are quite different……….mine.
A. with B. from C. for D. on
36. Be quiet! Someone ……. at the front door. I …… it.
A. is knocking/ will answer B. knocks/ am answering
C. has knocked/ answered D .knocked/ answered
37. Not all men are concerned with ….physical attractiveness of their girl friends and wives.
A. a B. an C. the D. no article
38. After they have been …love for 2 years, they decide to get married. A.of B. with C. in D. on
IV. Error identification.
39. Howa beautifulglasses you are wearing!
A B C D
40. It isimpossiblefor medoing this essay.
A B C D
41. Howbeauty your daughteris!
A B C D
42. The telephone often causesargues between members in the family.
A B C D
43. “Contractual” marriage- a boy and a girl are attracted to each other, fall in love
A B C
and decide to get married.
44. It is politeto ask questions about age, marriage, and salary in America.
A B C D
45. Before he gone outwith his friends, he had takena bath.
A B C D
V. Singapore is an island city of about three million people . It is a beautiful (46)______with lots of parks and open spaces . It's also a very clean city.
Most of the people(47) ___ in high-rise flats in different parts of the island . The business district is very modern with (48) ____of high new office buildings . Singapore also has some nice older sections . In China town , there are rows of old shop houses . The Government buildings in Singapore are very beautiful and date from the colonial days.
Singapore is famous (49) _____ its shops and restaurant . There are many good shopping centers . Most of the goods are duty free . Singapore's restaurants (50) ______Chinese, Indian, Malay and European food , and the prices are quite reasonable .
46. A. district B. town C. city D. village
47. A. live B. lives C. are living D. lived
48. A. lot B. lots C. many D. much
49. A. in B. on C. at D. For
50. A. sells B. selling C. sell D. sold
Unit 3: WAYS OF SOCIALIZING
a. Vocabulary: some words related to socializing.
- communicate(v) giao tiếp→communication(n)
→ verbal communication: giao tiếp bằng ngôn ngữ→ non-verbal communication:giao tiếp phi ngôn ngữ.
attract s.o attention: thu hút sự chú ý của ai
clap hands: vỗ tay
polite(a) lịch sự # impolite(a) không lịch sự
maverlous(a) kì diệu →maverlously(adv)
to point + at: chỉ, trỏ
accept(v) chấp nhận→acceptance(n)→acceptable(a)
install(v) lắp đặt→installment(n)
appropriate(a) + to/for : thích hợp ,thích đáng
society(n) xã hội→social(a)→socialise(v)→socialising(v-ing)
catch one’s head : gật đầu
whistle :huýt sáo
informality (n) sự thân mật
point at someone:chỉ vào ai
approach someone : tiến tới,tiến lại gần
a slight nod will do: gật đầu nhẹ là đủ
obvious (adj)hiển nhiên
cue(n) :sự gợi ý
cause an argument: gây ra một vụ tranh cãi
compliment(n) lời khen,(v)
informality (n) sự thân mật→informal(adj)
wrongdoing(n) việc làm sai trái
b. Grammar: reported speech
* câu tường thuật đối với loại câu phát biểu
- Nếu động từ giới thiệu ở hiện tại,hiện tại hoàn thành,tương lai đơn thì khi chuyển câu nói trực tiếp sang câu gián tiếp ta không thay đổi thì. Chỉ thay dổi các đại từ làm chủ ngữ hoặc tân ngữ.
Ex: he says “ she will come tormorrow”
He says that she will come tormorrow
- Nếu dộng từ giới thiệu ở thì quá khứ thì khi chuyển từ câu trực tiếp sang gián tiếp thì ta phải chú ý những điều sau:
Thay đổi về thì:
Câu nói trực tiếp
Câu nói gián tiếp
Had to/would have to
Was not to
Thay đổi các tính từ và trạng từ:
Câu nói trực tiếp
Câu nói gián tiếp
The day before/previous day
The day after/the following day
The week after/the following week
* câu tường thật gián tiếp đối với loại câu hỏi
khi tường thuât các câu hỏi loại này ta sử dụng các động từ như ask,inquire,wonder và theo sau các động từ này là if/whether
thay đổi thì,đại từ và trạng từ giống câu phát biểu.
C. Tom said this is my house D. T said this was his house
39. “ Shut the door but don’t lock it,” she said to us.
A. She told us to shut the door but don’t lock it B. She told us shut the door but not to lock it
C. She told us to shut the door but not to lock it D. She told us shut the door but don’t lock it
40. “Are you willing to travel?” she asked
A. She asked me am I willing to travel? B. She asked me if I am willing to travel.
C. She asked me if was I willing to travel D. She asked me if I was willing to travel
III. Find a mistake in each sentence
41. Mr. Pike likes travelling. By the time he will be 60, he will have visited 15 countries and capitals.
42. Today seems wonderfullyforusto have a picnic.
43. Years ago, some people didn’t used to go to the doctor when they were ill.
44. Bythe time the police come the robber had run away.
45. Have you ever read any novelswritingby Jack London?
The elephant is (46) __________ largest animal to walk on Earth. An elephant can carry a load of 1.200 pounds . They eat 300 pounds of food a day . An elephant baby can weigh 200 pounds (47) __________ birth. Elephants can live up to 70 years. Elephants can (48) __________ to carry logs with their trunks. They also use their trunks for drinking water, bathing, eating and (49) __________. These are two kinds of elephant: the African elephant and the Indian elephant. African elephants can be characterized as largest ears. The African elephant grow up to 10 feet tall, and weighs as much as 12.000 pounds . The Indian elephant grow up to 9 feet tall, and weighs up to 800 pounds . This elephant is characterized as smaller ears . Another name for the Indian elephant (50) __________ the Asian elephant
46: A. this B. the C. that D. a
47: A. in B. on C. at D. for
48: A. be B. been C. to D. not
49: A. communication B. communicating C. communicate D. communicative
50: A. was B. is C. be D. are
Unit 4: SCHOOL EDUCATION SYSTEM
VOCABULARY: some words related to school education system.
26. There ___________ a lot of changes in my hometown recently
A. is B. are C. has been D. have been
27. Tomorrow I __________ my grandmother
A. am going to visit B. will be visiting C. have visited D. visit
III. Read the passage and choose the one word to fill in the blanks.
Children in (28) …..Netherlands must be at least 4 years old to (29) ……….primary education. Almost all 4-year-old(99.3%) in the country indeed attend primary school, (30) …… this is not compulsory until children reach the age (31) ….. 5. Primary school is free of charge. In most schools, children are grouped by age in mixed classes, with one teacher for all subjects. Primary school (32) ……of 8 group, thus schooling (33) ……..for 8 years. During the first two years, which (34) …….kindergarten, children receive an average of 22 hours of (35) …., during the last six years children receive an average of 25 hours (36) …..week. Schools are opened 5 days a week, but children are free on Wednesday afternoon. At the end of primary school, or in group 8, schools advice on secondary school choice. Most schools use a national test to support this advice, for instance the ‘Citotoests’, a test (37) …….by the Central Institute for Testing development.
28. A. a B. an C. the D. no article
29. A. afford B. enter C. come D. run
30. A. although B. despite C. in spite D. due to
31. A. on B. of C. in D. for
32. A. includes B. contains C. consists D. takes
33. A. spends B. lengthens C. takes D. lasts
34. A. also called B. is also called C. is called also D. is also calling
35. A. educate B. educative C. educator D. education
36. A. an B. a C. per D. B&C
37. A. develop B. to develop C. developed D. developing
IV. Error identification.
38. This old room can usedfor the classroom.
A B C D
39. Fee-paying schools are often called ‘independent school’, ‘private school’ or ‘state school’.
A B C D
40. This companyhas establishedsinceJuly last year.
A B C D
41. Jean advised Bill not cook the fish fortoo long.
A B C D
UNIT 5: HIGHER EDUCATION
VOCABULARY: some words related to higher education
Hue university: đại học huế
Hanoi university of architecture: đại học kiến trúc Hà Nội
Hanoi university of natural sciences: đại học khoa học tự nhiên Hà Nội
Tertiary (adj)thứ 3,người thứ 3→ tertiary education:= at university or college level: đại học
Order of preference: thứ tự ưu tiên
Apply(v) + for : nộp đơn → application(n)→ application form: đơn xin việc,đơn xin học
Identity card: thẻ chứng minh
Birth certificate: giấy khai sinh
Reference letter: thư giới thiệu
A copy: bản sao
An original: bản chính
The record of your performance at school: bảng điểm
Original of school certificate :bằng cấp bảng gốc
Campus (n): khuon viên trường đại học
Blame s.o for : đỗ lỗi cho ai..
Daunt= disappointment: thất vọng
Graduate +from: tốt nghiệp từ
Scare(adj) sợ hãi→scary (n)
Opportunity= chance: cơ hội
Proportion(n) tỉ lệ
Sociology(n) xã hội học
Psycology(n) tâm lí học
Philosophy(n) triết học
GRAMMAR: CONDITIONAL SENTENCES
1. Conditional Sentence Type 1:
Điều kiện có thể xảy ra ở hiện tại hoặc tương lai.
Form: IF S + TOBE/V(simple present),S +WILL +V
- If I have enough money, I will buy that LCD monitor ; - I will be sad if you leave.
2. Conditional Sentence Type 2:
Điều kiện không thể xảy ra ở hiện tại hoặc tương lai - ước muốn ở hiện tại. (Nhưng thực tế không thể xảy ra được).
Form: IF S + TOBE/V(simple past),S +would/could +V(nguyên mẫu không to)
Lưu ý:+ Ở mệnh đề IF, nếu động từ là TO BE thì ta dùng WERE cho tất cả các chủ ngữ.
- If I were you, I would get a divorce. (Nếu tôi là bạn, tôi sẽ nộp đơn ly dị).
3. Conditional Sentence Type 3:
Điều kiện không thể xảy ra trong quá khứ - mang tính ước muốn trong quá khứ.
A. took/ were B. were taking/ is C. had taken/ would have been D. had taken/ would be
19. We’ll need more staff ……..we start the new project.
A. unless B. whether C. in case D. or
20. …I had learnt English when I was at high school. A. Unless B. If C. Even if D. If only
21. ………more carefully, he would not have had the accident yesterday.
A. If Peter driven B. If had Peter driven C. Had Peter driven D. Unless Peter had driven
22. ………if a war happened?
A. What you would do B. What will you do C. What do you do D. What would you do
23. If it ……….warm yesterday. We would have gone to the beach.
A. was B. were C. had been D. could be
24. If it ……an hour ago, the streets ……wet now. A. were running/ will be
B. rained/ would be C. had rained/ would be D. had rained/ would have been
25. A ………is an official document that you receive when you have completed a course of study or training.
A. vacation B. subject C. certificate D. training
26. I would like to invite you to participate in the ……ceremony.
A. graduation B. graduate C. graduated D. graduated
III. Read the passage and fill each numbered blank with one suitable word.
Here’s some advice for trying to find the university that works for you.
1. You need to examine (27) ……..and your reasons for going to university before you start your search. Why are you going? What are your abilities and your strengths? What are your weakness? What do you want out of life? Are you socially self-sufficient (28) ……do you need warm, familial (29) …….? Talk with your friends, your family and high-school counselors as you ask the questions. The people (30) …….know you best can help you(31)……..these important issues.
2. Very few high-school students have enough information or (32 ) ………to choose a major. You need to be well (33 ) ….determine your interest and attitude. Many students (34) ……their minds two or three times before they settle to a major.
3. If you do not go to university right away it is never too late. There is no such thing as the perfect time to start university. Some students benefit from a year off to work, study or travel, and these experiences (35)…… them to better , more engaged students. Some students choose to apply to university and gain admission and then defer their entrance, while others wait to apply until after they have had (36)……..alternative experience.
27. A. you B. your C. yours D. yourself
28. A. or B. but C. nor D. either
29. A. support B. bringing C. feeding D. growth
30. A. which B. whom C. who D. whose
31. A. to B. about C. with D. of
32. A. expenditure B. experience C. experiment D. expert
33. A. prepare B. prepared C. preparation D. preparative
34. A. transform B. translate C. change D. convert
35. A. allow B. make C. let D. advise
36. A. a B. an C, the D. no article
IV: find mistake:
37. There area lot of workto do here.
A B C D
38. I’m sure he is incapable inrunning a mile in four minutes.
A B C D
39. Good friendship should be basingon mutual understanding.
A B C D
40. I’m delightedhearing that you have made much progress in your study.